Part Ⅱ Vocabulary and Structure
Directions: In this part, there are 30 incomplete sentences. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D . Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
16. Hearing the gunshot, all the birds flew _____ every direction.
A. in B. on C. to D. toward
17。 The factory had to _____ number of employees because of the economic decline in the country。
A. lay out B. lay off C. lay aside D. lay down
18. His parents _____ his money, so he is in trouble now.
A. cut off B. cut through C. gave up D. brought down
19. Can you _____ the difference _____ the two phrases?
A. tell, between B. speak, from C. say, of D. talk, between
20. If anyone happens to drop in while I am out, _____ him or her leave a message.
A. have B. get C. ask D. tell
21。 There is no doubt _____ you will pass the exam this time。 You have worked so hard in the past months。
A. whether B. that C. if D. what
22. I _____ the boy to save money, but he wouldn’t listen.
A. hoped B. suggested C. wanted D. made
23. I made a call to my parents yesterday. To my disappointment, _____ of them answered it.
A. either B. none C. neither D. nobody
24。 No matter _____ he is able to come to the party or not, we will invite him。
A。 when B。 whether C。 how D。 why
25。 The idea _____ to him in his dream and he decided to carry it out。
A。 happened B。 struck C。 appeared D。 occurred
26. He would have paid _____ for the house if the salesgirl had insisted because he really wanted it.
A. twice as much B. much as twice C. as much twice D. twice much as
27. They decided to chase the cow away _____ it did more damage.
A。 unless B。 until C。 before D。 although
28. We wanted a new table for dinner, so my father bought _____ from a furniture store yesterday.
A。 itself B。 one C。 himself D。 another
29. A library with five thousand books _____ to the nation as a gift.
A. is offered B. has offered C. are offered D. have offered
30. _____ is often the case, we have worked out the production plan.
A. Which B. When C. What D. As
31. It is no _____ talking to him, because he will never change his mind.
A。 help B。 use C。 time D。 way
32. The way I thought of _____ the animal was of great value.
A。 protecting B。 protect C。 being protected D。 to protect
33. In another year or so, you _____ all about it.
A。 forget B。 would forget C。 have forgotten D。 will have forgotten
34. No one here believes the reason _____ he gave for his lateness.
A. that B. why C. for which D. what
35. The novel I bought last week is worth ____ ,I think.
A. reading B. being read C. to read D. to be read
36. After the fire, _____ would otherwise be a cultural center is now reduced to a pile of ashes.
A. that B. it C. which D. what
37. Did you notice the little boy _____ away?
A. took the candy and run
B. taking the candy and run
C。 take the candy and run
D. who taking the candy and running
38. _____ gives people more knowledge of the society than literature.
A. Anything B. Nothing C. Something D. Everything
39. If Mary catches _____ her diary, she’ll be angry.
A. you reading B. yours reading C. you read D. you to read
40. Don’t worry me now, I will mend that coat _____.
A. by and by B. off and on C. back an forth D. now and then
41. Please join us. We can easily make _____ for one more at this table.
A。 seat B。 place C。 room D。 space
42. You may depend on ____ will not repeat his mistakes.
A. it that B. that C. him that D. which that
43. “That latest car must have cost you a pretty penny.” “Oh, no ,_____.”
A. it didn’t B. it mustn’t C. it hasn’t D. it must haven’t
44. _____ the first to use nuclear weapons.
A. At no time China will be B. Never China will be
C. Will China never be D. At no time will China be
45。 Encouragement is sometimes much more _____ than criticism。
A. effective B. efficient C. executive D. extensive